Skip to main content

The Inheritance of Fear


Yesterday, a friend’s facebook status talked about her turning into a paranoid parent who is afraid to trust anyone. This was a reaction to the news of a 4 year old being raped by her school bus conductor. I could not agree with her more. Every morning, the plethora of murders, rapes and robberies reported only adds to the fear.

There is a lot of discussion in the last month on why do people not stop on the road to help victims. Is it just because of the fear of going to the police? Or is it a much deeper rooted fear of our own safety when we see someone trying to stop the car on the road as a result of the repeated stories we have heard of people being stopped on the road on the pretext of an accident or a person in need of help and then being robbed or killed.

“Keep the car door locked, do not open the window even if someone knocks”, most of us would have received and given this advice to our near and dear ones.  Around 3 years ago, while driving my cousin to her exam center, we noticed a boy and girl who appeared to be students impatiently pacing at a bus stop. Assuming that they were perhaps headed to the same exam center and knowing that buses on that route weren’t as frequent, we offered them a ride as we were going to the same place. Seeing two women in the car (I would assume here that we looked harmless), they took the ride. Circa 2013, I am sure readers are already thinking about the huge risk that both parties took. Will I act the same way in a similar situation now, the answer will most probably be a NO.

There are multiple programs on TV which play out crime series in great detail. For a generation systematically being conditioned to this fear and mistrust, how do we expect trust to develop overnight? Yes we need a Good Samaritan law but we also need regular positive reinforcement to reinstate our faith in humanity. I scan the newspaper every morning looking for any one thing that would generate a positive emotion to start my day and mostly don’t find anything.  An act of goodness only finds its place in any media when it’s a huge personal sacrifice like a high flying executive, leaving a well - paying job to work for the welfare of the downtrodden. But even nondescript stories of crimes and cheating seem to always have place in some corner of the news. Not just the news, television serials which claim to reflect household stories are replete with plots of deceit. Today perhaps Kaun Banega Crorepati is the only program on TV that does not exude any form of negativity through its script.

I realized the impact of this conditioning during my interaction with a cab driver in Atlanta. I had hired him on the first day to take me from the hotel to my office. He offered to take me to and fro every day. To my huge surprise, he asked me to pay him altogether once I was done with my work in the city. He never asked me for my name or contact details. The only thing he would ask me was what time should he come for the next pick up and how was Hema Malini ( his favorite Bollywood actress) doing? I could have just gone away without paying him and the amount due to him was significant. I was really skeptical as he had made out that I was new to the city and my conditioned to not trust mind was constantly apprehensive that something wrong would happen. Someone couldn’t be that good and trusting. He was there outside my hotel and office building on time every day. I continued to be anxious, if nothing else I was sure he would bicker about the tip expecting a huge amount for being so nice. No such thing happened. He seemed to be very happy with whatever I gave him. He even helped me carry the luggage as far as he could and when I was finally going in he actually bid me off with a “have a safe journey back home and whenever you think of this city remember Nana (his name).”  There was nothing exceptional that he had done. He was just being human, but for someone who had been bred on stories of cab drivers taking passengers to forsaken places and robbing them, this was unimaginable.

Positive reinforcement is considered more effective in bringing desired change in behavior than negative reinforcement. Apart from being told that we will not be troubled if we are good to others, nobility needs some serious re- branding.  Then only will we be able to pass on the faith in goodness to our children and not leave them with an inheritance of fear or a PhD on the difficulty of being good…

 

Comments

  1. Well written!!! Another lens to look at this article I am reminded of a point of view that I discussed a few months ago that from time unknown to me in our surroundings we are so programmed to take a restrictive approach in all our decisions rather than an educative approach. e.g. let it be the government trying to get more out of taxes we add more clauses to ensure no one slips, traffic police adds speed breakers attempting to control traffic etc.
    I think its time we start our education again in society, by learning and educating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruchira - Very nicely written! The cab driver example you cited reminded me of the short stories narrated by Sudha Murthy in her books. As Vishal Khera mentioned we grown ups in India need to start our education again on how to behave in a civilized society. Recently in a TOI article ( http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-01-08/goa/36215885_1_panaji-streets-sweep ) read about foreigners picking up brooms and cleaning Panaji streets. I hope and wish that we do the right things and pass on a legacy to our children that we and they will be proud of.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Middle-aged, Middle class and Single!

The headline caught your attention didn’t it? Well, that is  why the male protagonist in a popular Indian TV soap was screaming these words at the top of his lungs at the female protagonist. I do follow TV soaps occasionally to keep myself abreast as they are great social conversation starters when I find myself out of words  in specific settings and I continue to be awed by how much they impact the way people think.   Disclaimers – if you have never watched an Indian Balaji telefilms soap or if you do not think that television soaps impact and reflect the social mindset, this may not be for you. When Indian television launched daily soaps, Ekta Kapoor revolutionized it by giving us the typical Indian Bahu who wore the mangal sutra like a medallion around her neck and retired to bed every night in all her finery. An excessively regressive portrayal of an Indian household where under the garb of sanskaars – everyone was adulterous, jealous and immortal. Though some turned up

The Little Packages of Goodness

Last week I went to watch a movie with my mum and while coming out she needed some help to walk down the slope. A young man standing next to her noticed her extending her hand to seek support and kindly held her hand and helped her get down the slope amongst the jostling crowd.   A friend recently posted on FB that she was proud of her husband helping someone who had a heart attack in a restaurant where they were dining. Few years back, we were in a multi - storey building when an earthquake struck and as we rushed down, we were surprised to be one of the only two families who had brought our pet dog down along with us. The rest had left their pets behind. What’s so special about these incidents that make them worth mentioning?   These are simple acts of compassion that are waning away from our lives. Stand in front of the elevator of a mall on a busy weekend and you will see people pushing each other without even considering if there is an elderly person, a woman with a

Dilli ki Sardi...

“Who Stole Delhi’s Winter?” Saw this snippet in the newspaper this morning and couldn’t help smiling at it. Exactly what's been going on in my mind.  Winter is my favorite part of living in Delhi and the deprivation of some of the much awaited experiences is definitely being felt  . So you are wondering what the big deal is. What do winters in Delhi mean?    To start with, it is our favorite fashion season. Big or small, dark or fair, tall or short, with the fancy jackets, turtlenecks, scarves, tweeds, the chillier it gets, the more we layer up in style. The only appreciative statement that I have heard from a Mumbaikar for Delhi is- “everyone in Delhi dresses up so well in winters.” While most people will relate to their mom’s staple question in this season – “beta sweater pehna hai ki nahin” it’s not just the ‘sweater’ - we have a full winter wardrobe. And if you have been to college in Delhi, you will surely have a knitted cap and pair of obnoxiously bright colored so